Sunday, September 1, 2013

Ready for another ten year obsession


This shouldn't be news to anyone that I am obsessed with anything paleolithic. When I found out a while ago that the Field Museum was hosting a temporary exhibit on the Lascaux Cave Art. My Mama and I trekked out there last Saturday and it was very good.



There was no photography allowed inside but that didn't stop me from Kinnearing some photos with my phone. (Kinnear; v. To take a candid photograph surreptitiously, especially by holding the camera low and out of the line of sight. It's a real word, look it up.)

They had some really clever 3D printed 1/10 scale model versions of the cave to give you an idea of the size.






The finale of the exhibit was an actual full-scale model of a section of the cave, painted in realistic detail and texture. They also had some life-size Magadalenian people with some pretty bitchin' headgear.


Me hangin' with my anthropology spirit guide, Lucy. I was in the zone at this part of the "evolving earth" exhibit, practically giving people tours nobody asked for.


And my adorable Mama <3



I also got a bunch of crap at the gift shop too as per usual.





**************

Other life events:

There's a Caribou coffee by my house! The closer one shut down a few months ago but this one is only about six minutes away and I'm so happy I've gone there twice this weekend alone.


Splinter Cell Blacklist was released finally and I really enjoyed it.




Anna Grímsdóttir: If a single guard spots you, it’s all over.
Sam Fisher: ...Did you forget who you’re talking to?
ANNA BETTER COME CORRECT.


And Sam in civilian clothes *dies*


Andrew Vin and I played a night of Fortune Street. Vin won (I was a was very close second), but I did get the first monopoly.



My Arielle is coming along (I won't say 'nicely', mostly because I have no idea what wtf I'm doing). I took two days off work and basically spent the whole two days knitting, cooking, and watching Supernatural.

I should have started watching this show years ago, it's fantastic! Sarah, didn't you recommend this show to me a long time ago? (When they were undercover as priests I thought oh damn, where's Sarah, haha)

****************

AND NOW FOR THE GEEKY PART OF THE EVENING.

I dropped $2,095 dollars today on a new laptop.
That is $1,095 more than I have ever spent on a laptop.

Why?

THIS.

God help me, I'm going to start playing an MMO again.

I played Final Fantasy XI for TEN YEARS.

Now Final Fantasy XIV has been released and my old friends have invited me back. Plus, Vin is going to play with me, AND Andrew, AND Trevor.

It's an absolutely gorgeous game (seriously, do an image search for FFXIV A Realm Reborn) and if I'm going to play it for a long time I want the best hardware, thus the gaming laptop. Sir Laptop von Moneybags, Esq. will not arrive until middle of second week of September so I won't be able to start playing for another two weeks or so.

In the meantime they let you create your character ahead of time.





This is gonna be my girl!

You can customize everything (FFXIV is srs bznz) about your character. Eyebrow shape, lip shape, eye size, hair color, hair highlights, height, muscle tone, eye color, even pupil size for crap's sake.


I didn't really like any of the hair styles that they offered but this one was the one I liked the most. If I was a badass bitch saving the world with a sword and hand to hand combat, I'd want my hair in a topknot. None of this Farrah Fawcett BS.

I gave her light purple eyes (that's a given - favorite color) and my mother picked out the hair color. I also chose some dark smokey eyeshadow. Because, you know, you can. *Mind blown*

Between now and then I have to pick my character's last name. My first name will be the same name I used on FFXI (I want people to know it's me).

Also, what class?



There are SO MANY I want to play!

I am so happy to be welcomed back by my old DryRoot buddies that I've known for years. The leader (Hi Liam) has extended an invitation to my brother and my friends and that means a lot to me. ALSO YURIMI.

YURIMI I MISS YOU.

Haha I'm making myself laugh






3 comments:

  1. Were you able to get on Levi? I didn't :( I'm playing on Ixion atm, hoping for a server transfer at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even bought the game yet -- I am waiting for my gaming laptop to be built and shipped. The servers should be fixed by this Wed (or so I hear). Then I will pray Levi is available by the time I get my game installed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't be able to get on Levi :( Gotta convince Daz to migrate to a different server

    ReplyDelete