Thursday, June 16, 2011

Night Dweller

Me: They only gave me one ranch packet at the drive-thru when I asked.
Tabby: I'da drove back around. I'da been like (sarcastic) "One ranch? Really?" and drove away.

Sarah (sunburned, about her husband): The next day he was like "I'm sorry about your face." and I was like "Sorry about YOUR face. Asshole."

Laurie: Today in a patient's chart I checked 'yes' for pregnancy test. And they were 56 years old. And his name was Robert.

Me (on phone): I don't think we have this patient. Could you spell the last name?
Monica: Schenkelberg. S-c-h-whatever.




I am the only person in my family that lives in a humid subtropical (thank you wikipedia) environment (read: Florida). I have absolutely no business knitting scarves and hats and stuff. I used to joke with my British friend while I was learning how to knit that I would probably end up strangling myself accidentally with one of my scarves and instead of mourning me people would say "wtf she wearing a scarf in Florida for".

It's so hot here right now (and it's not even summer yet) that my steering wheel would burn me, and I ain't even playin'. I routinely drive with napkins between my hands and the wheel. I have a can of vanilla airwick or whatever that I keep in my cupholder for scent emergencies (I once left wet shoes in my car over the weekend.) and I am mildly concerned one day it will rupture from the heat since the contents are under pressure. I just recently found out my A/C settings in my Toyota were not properly configured for maximum coolage levels, and when I realized and fixed it, it was the best day of my life.

But I digress. Over the next few days I'll be turning some green yarn into this:
The "JJ" Scarfette from Ravelry.com (This image is not mine PS by the way)
It's cute and with proper blocking looks like it could be very lightweight. And the tails are long which is good since the last shawlette I knit wasn't wide enough.


So here are the goods. KnitPicks lightweight yarn in “Canopy”
Knitpicks.com is quickly becoming my favorite place to spend money.


Last time I unraveled a big thing of laceweight yarn I had my poor gramma stand there while I pulled the yarn off her hands and wound it into my yarn windery contraption. This time I realized the hank is just wide enough to fit on one of my laundry baskets.


Yarn windery contraption is love.


Okay so from that hank of green we now have four center-pull balls of yarn totaling about 460 yards. I feel the need to disclose that this picture (along with 98% of my knitting pictures) is taken in my bathroom. I am a night owl and do most if not all of my knitting at night when the light is not ideal for picture taking. I discovered my "incandescent" setting on my camera that is meant for fluorescent lighting and also am using white tissue paper as a backdrop since I'm sure you don't want to see my mouthwash and box o' band-aids.


Compelling detail of cast-on row.


Every other row is increased by 1 stitch along one side. The left side here stays at a right-angle to the needles (no increases) but the right side will slant outward as I increase on that side. Eventually this will make a triangle, where I will then decrease to form the other wing of the scarfette.

Okay so I stopped taking pictures for a while because really I didn't want to be bothered getting up from my bed to set up my photography-studio-slash-bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment